Monday, July 12, 2010

Quick update: Mensa

So about three or four weeks ago I scheduled a few hours of my Sunday afternoon off, and took the Mensa entrance exam.

It was administered at the Glendale Library, and lasted about an hour and a half or so.  If I had to guess, I would say that about 12 people were in that room with me, taking their chances. 

First, you take the Wonderlic, which is the very same test that all incoming NFL players take.  I suppose that it measures your general problem solving abilities, which may be of some use to scouts who are assessing a player's possible effectiveness.  Now, if you score in the top 1-2% on this exam, you qualify for Mensa.  I remember the test being like 8-10 minutes long, but having an impossible (pretty much literally) 50 questions that get harder as you go along. 

After the Wonderlic, you take the actual Mensa test, which I guess is designed and edited by Mensa members or something.  It was 7 or 8 sections of anywhere from 15 to 30 questions, and each section was 15 minutes or less.  Most of the sections were analogy-type questions where they'd show you a hat and a head, then a shoe, and the correct answer is '"foot."  Stuff like that.

I chatted with the proctors (who were very nice, by the way) after the exam, and they clarified that you have to score top 1-2% compared to the general population, not just compared to everyone who has ever taken the exam (I would imagine that the population that takes the exam is probably slightly above average in intelligence, or else they wouldn't even try.  But I could be wrong).  They said that somewhere around half of the people in the room that day may qualify, or no one at all.  They added that usually at least one or two people get in at each exam. 

Anywho, to jump to the chase, I received a letter at my parents' house today.  My mom opened it and informed me that I got in.  Woot.  They don't tell you what your score was, only that you qualified or didn't qualify.  Then they ask for money.  Natch.  Resume builder!

No comments: