Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Match.com

I recently decided that I suck at talking to girls, and my friend Ashlee convinced me that online dating isn't as desperate and pathetic as I thought it was. So I signed up for eHarmony and match.com.

eHarmony is terrible. The matches are crappy, and there is no way to search independent of the people that they believe to be good for you. I asked for a refund, but you can only get that if you cancel within like 7 days of signing up. So yeah, eHarmony was lame.

Match.com is far more fun. You can search through profiles and read about all sorts of different people. I don't know, it's online people watching. I have gone on a date with one girl from there (Kate), but there wasn't much of a spark, so I don't know if I will really pursue it. And now, I have received a second request for further communication. Actually, let me step back and explain the process a little more:

Search using basic parameters
Browse profiles, find one (or 57) you like
Wink at that person to indicate interest or
Email that person with a plea for further communication
Wait
Wait
Cry
Wait
Get a response wink or email
Talk
Fall in love
Get married

So yeah, that's how it works. I emailed this new girl (we'll call her Zolee) because she looked cute, referenced Firefly on her page multiple times, and had a picture of her rockclimbing as one of her photos. Within a few hours, Zolee had returned my email and included her phone number with the instruction to call her sometime. I'm excited. I think that I'll call her tomorrow and see if she wants to go out this weekend or next week or something.

"The miserable have no other medicine
But only hope."
~William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

No comments: